November 27, 2013

Butter Cut-Out Cookies

So these cookies are amazing! This is the closest to the recipe that my mom used to make us when we were kids. They are very simple butter/sugar cookies and they have been ingrained onto my memory for forever. So eating these and realizing that they are pretty much identical to the those childhood cookies was really sweet. It's a Polish recipe and would explain why they'd be so similar to the Russian cookies that I remember.

In making these I realized that I'd like a scale for baking European recipes. They measure a lot of their ingredients in grams and converting to cups or tablespoons doesn't come out evenly. Using a scale would simplify the process very well.

The original recipe and directions can be found on White Plate's website. But I'll share my converted version with you.

Butter Cut-Out Cookies

Ingredients
11.6 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
13 tablespoons caster (baker's) sugar (I used cane sugar)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
26.6 tablespoons flour
1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1 tsp salt

Directions
Cream the butter and sugar until pale and mousse-like, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.

Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix gently but surely.
Divide the dough in half, form into flat discs, wrap each half in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 356 F. Sprinkle a suitable surface with flour, then roll the disc out to 1/2 cm thick. Putting flour on the rolling pin helps the dough not to stick. Cut into shapes, dipping the cutter into flour as you go. Place the biscuits on the baking sheets. Bake 8-12 minutes and cool on a rack. 

Some of my cookies turned out a bit too brown and crunchy. I didn't mind because I really like crunchy cookies, but you can rotate the cookie sheet half way through, or just pull out the cookies when they have a nice gold color to them. Have fun baking these, Jude had helped me cut the shapes out. And I realized that I need to relax when I let Jude help me otherwise I get angry that he's not doing it right and he ends up playing with flour. xo Yana.



1 comment:

  1. Those were So friggin good. :) kenj

    ReplyDelete